We’ve all felt different from others at some point in our lives. Maybe you were hanging out with the wrong people or didn’t blend in with your peers. Maybe you felt this way in your own family as you grew up.
If you are familiar with being an outsider, a loner, a misfit, then you will appreciate the black sheep quotes below.
Whether you were the black sheep of the family or an outcast in school, you know the feeling. You always mess up. You never fit in. For some unknown reason, you are not like the others–you have too little in common with the people you are supposed to belong with.
This is exactly what our compilation is about. But you know what? Being a black sheep is not always a bad thing, and you will see it for yourself in the quotes below:
40 Black Sheep Quotes for Those Who Don’t Fit in with Others
1. I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep aren’t as white as they try to appear.
2. We’ve all been taught that the black sheep is a deviation from acceptable standards and something to be avoided. Still, when you see it amongst a herd, its lack of conformity is what steals your breath and captures your attention.
Do you appreciate the message this quote conveys? Then you will certainly like this compilation of quotes about conformity and standing out from the crowd.
3. If you’re a black sheep or a tie-died sheep or a Carefree Scamp – I’d rather sit around the fire with you than the ‘decent, mediocre types’ any day of the week.
4. We’ve all been in positions where we felt out of place or not accepted for whatever reason. For me, that’s been my life. I’ve always been that person that stood out. And what makes you an outcast is what makes you unique, and you should harness that. Being a black sheep gives you creative license to do sh*t differently.
-Andre Hueston Mack
Does this black sheep quote speak to you? You may also want to know why to be great often means to be misunderstood.
5. I’ve been called rebellious, wrong, black sheep, different… Because I refused to be what everyone else is. I stand by my beliefs.
6. I like weird people… The black sheep, the odd ducks, the rejects, the eccentrics, the loners, the lost and forgotten. More often than not, these people have the most beautiful souls.
7. Ironically, you as the black sheep may want love, understanding, and acceptance from others but then find that you are the one who must give those things first to those who love, understand, and accept you the least.
8. If you do not question everything, you may never find the true answer. You will only find the answer everyone wants to believe. That it called being another sheep in the herd; that is why the people who question things are considered black sheep and the people who give you the answers, Wolves.
Are you the one who questions everything? You could be an independent thinker – you can read about this special type of person here.
9. The thing I learned about being the black sheep is that the white sheep are great liars.
10. If you have lived your life in such a way that no one has ever found you obnoxious, then you have my condolences for you have never really lived.
11. There is no flock of black sheep.
12. The black sheep is sometimes the only one telling the truth.
13. I’ve always been a black sheep. That’s a hard thing to be until you find your calling in life. I was bullied a lot at school, probably because I was perceived to be different from everyone else.
14. After all, the wool of a black sheep is just as warm.
15. Stop trying to fit into the wrong herd. Find other black sheep to hang out with.
The people you surround yourself with have a greater influence on your life than you could imagine. Learn why you are who you hang out with.
16. I’m a little bit more unusual, so I consider myself as the black sheep.
17. I was considered the black sheep of the family. Neighbors didn’t want their kids playing with me.
18. Don’t force yourself to fit in where you don’t belong.
If you feel like you don’t belong anywhere and you want to understand why, take a look at this article.
19. The black sheep of the family might produce eagles.
20. I’m a prodigal son. The black sheep of a white flock. I shall die on the gallows.
-William A. Drake
21. Honestly, if you don’t fit in, then you’re probably doing the right thing.
22. Every family needs a black sheep to call them on their bullshit.
23. I dug the idea that I was being perceived as the black sheep of my family, but for me, it was like I was a rebel, and that to me was most important.
Does this quote ring the bell? Learn what it means to feel like an outsider and what you can do about it.
24. Authenticity is impossible if your black sheep values are lost.
25. People have a problem with me being different, but that propels me forward in life.
26. Respect the black sheep of the family. They are the ones willing to put themselves on the line when you have a problem you can’t handle.
27. The greatest fear in the world is of the opinions of others. And the moment you are unafraid of the crowd, you are no longer a sheep; you become a lion. A great roar arises in your heart, the roar of freedom.
If this saying makes you think, you may also want to take a look at this list of quotes about comparing yourself to others.
28. Being the black sheep of the family is not always a bad thing.
29. Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward.
30. They laugh at me because I’m different; I laugh at them because they’re all the same.
31. Black sheep are the prettiest and don’t show the dirt as much as the white ones.
32. There are only three options for black sheep: live authentically and get kicked out of the community, have the courage to move out on your own and rebuild from scratch, or hide your true self and desperately try to fit in (which you never will).
Are you hiding your true self in an attempt to blend in with others? Check the signs you are not being true to yourself.
33. Every family has a black sheep.
34. If you want the unvarnished truth about a family, always ask the black sheep—who has nothing to lose by being honest.
35. If you are the black sheep, you’ll find it very difficult to change colors in the eyes of your family, no matter how many good deeds you do.
-Edward M. Hallowell
This is one of those black sheep of the family quotes that uncover ugly truths. If you relate to it, then there might be a toxic dynamic in your family. Read through the signs your family doesn’t care about you.
36. I don’t fit into any stereotypes. And I like myself that way.
-C. JoyBell C.
37. I am not a black sheep because I’m different from the flock. I am a black sheep because I refused to be sheared.
38. I’m the black sheep by choice.
39. So you’re a little weird? Work it! A little different? OWN it! Better to be a nerd than one of the herd!
For more sayings like this, check our compilation of quotes about being weird.
40. There is no such thing as a weird human being. It’s just that some people require more understanding than others.
Learn from These Quotes and Gain Power from Being a Black Sheep
The key message behind the above quotes is that the role of a black sheep is not always a negative one.
Yes, sometimes you may feel alone, misunderstood, and rejected because you are different from others. But it also gives you the power to think and act in new, unconventional ways.
Ultimately, people who don’t fit in and think outside the box are the ones who make a difference. That’s because they are more concerned about staying true to themselves than conforming to the majority.
So, celebrate your uniqueness and re-read our list of inspirational black sheep quotes next time you feel rejected and alone!