Weirdness is a trait that many people don’t appreciate. Conventional aka “normal” feels more familiar and, therefore, safer.
But despite this, eccentricity is often a synonym of authenticity and a healthy sense of self. The below quotes about being weird convey this very message.
We often hide the best parts of ourselves out of fear that we will be misunderstood or rejected by other people. It happens to many of us, especially at a young age. After all, conformity and the desire to be liked and accepted are in human nature.
But there comes a time when you realize that you no longer want to be liked for something you are not. This is when you embrace your weirdness and cherish your unique, flawed self.
The quotes below will inspire you to just be yourself, no matter how weird your individuality may seem to others.
33 Quotes about Being Weird That Will Inspire You to Embrace Your Uniqueness
1. In nature, nothing is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways and they’re still beautiful.
2. Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who would love the person you hide.
3. There is no such thing as a weird human being. It’s just that some people require more understanding than others.
4. I’d rather be weird and happy than normal and miserable.
5. I don’t see myself as weird, I just see myself as honest.
6. I like weird people… The black sheep, the odd ducks, the rejects, the eccentrics, the loners, the lost and forgotten. More often than not, these people have the most beautiful souls.
7. I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed.
-L. Frank Baum
8. I think everybody’s weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.
9. All forms of madness, bizarre habits, awkwardness in society, general clumsiness, are justified in the person who creates good art.
10. Blessed are the weird people: poets, misfits, writers, mystics, painters, troubadours, for they teach us to see the world through different eyes.
11. I’m not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
12. So you’re a little weird? Work it! A little different? OWN it! Better to be a nerd than one of the herd!
13. It’s hard being weird. No—it’s hard living in a culture that makes it hard.
14. People with weird personalities make the best friends. Being able to be openly weird actually relieves stress and anxiety.
15. We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.
16. Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
17. I guess I’m a little weird. I like to talk to trees and animals. That’s okay though; I have more fun than most people.
18. I’d rather be a little weird than all boring.
19. There’s a whole category of people who miss out by not allowing themselves to be weird enough.
-Alain de Botton
20. Make your weird light shine bright so that the other weirdos know where to find you.
21. When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
22. Stay away from the normals, the small-minded people who fill their brains with small-minded pursuits, who blend in and keep up with the Joneses. Those people will tear you down and make you boring. Instead, surround yourself with the weirds. With the misfits, oddballs, and outcasts. Because the normals, bless their hearts, have no idea how to have fun.
23. I was always fascinated by people who are considered completely normal because I find them the weirdest of all.
24. A real friendship ought to introduce each person to unexpected weirdness in the other.
25. Embrace your differences and the qualities about you that you think are weird. Eventually, they’re going to be the only things separating you from everyone else.
Do you find this saying relatable? Check out these powerful quotes about standing out from the crowd.
26. The more you embrace the weird crazy things about you, the more you find your tribe.
27. I like messy people; people who don’t fit in a box or stay between the lines, but whose integrity is greater than any rule book and whose loyalty is stronger than blood.
28. I used to think anyone doing anything weird was weird. Now I know that it is the people that call others weird that are weird.
29. Live life fully while you’re here. Experience everything. Take care of yourself and your friends. Have fun, be crazy, be weird. Go out and screw up! You’re going to anyway, so you might as well enjoy the process.
30. Weird behavior is natural in smart children like curiosity is to a kitten.
-Hunter S. Thompson
31. And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
– Friedrich Nietzsche
32. Don’t worry about not fitting in. The things that make people think you’re weird are what makes you you, and therefore, your greatest strength.
-Birgitte Hjort Sorensen
If you often feel inadequate to those around you and have a hard time accepting your uniqueness, you may want to read these profound quotes about comparing yourself to others.
33. I like people who have a sense of individuality. I love expression and anything awkward and imperfect because that’s natural and that’s real.
These quotes remind us that weirdness is not always a flaw
Embrace your weirdness – this is the key message the above quotes convey. Even though this trait is not always appreciated in our society, it doesn’t matter as long as you are happy.
If you are a loner, a misfit, an outcast, don’t rush to hide your eccentricities. Instead, embrace your individuality and cherish those traits that may seem weird to others but also make you the person you are.
Ultimately, it doesn’t make sense to pretend to be “normal” so that people like you. Finding your tribe is more important than being liked by everyone. And those who are meant to be your friends will never judge you for your quirks.
Whenever you feel painfully different from the rest, re-read these quotes about being weird and remind yourself that your quirks make you unique.