Do you often feel like a misfit and outsider? The below quotes about standing out from the crowd will inspire you to celebrate your uniqueness and follow your path no matter what other people think.
Our society has always been driven by conformity. This behavior is in human nature and has evolutionary roots. In the distant past, it helped our ancestors form communities and survive in the harsh conditions of the wild world.
Conformity is the reason why we intuitively trust the familiar and pull away from the different. It’s the reason why “normal” people follow the unwritten rules of socially accepted behavior and support the conventional views. As a matter of fact, these rules and views that constitute society’s agenda are constantly changing, so a “normal person” is expected to keep up.
As for the weird ones, the misfits, the freethinkers, the loners – they just don’t care. They are not interested in conforming to what is considered “normal” today, keeping up with trends, and following the crowd. They just remain loyal to themselves.
I could never blend in with other people and fit in with the crowd. While this made me feel inadequate during my teen years, now I realize what blessing it is.
If you have a hard time fitting in just like I do, read these quotes about standing out from the crowd that capture the beauty of being different and the futility of conformity. They will encourage you to stay true to yourself and remind you that if you refuse to follow the crowd, then you are probably on the right path.
Quotes about Standing Out from the Crowd
1. They laugh at me because I’m different; I laugh at them because they’re all the same.
2. I think being different, going against the grain of society is the greatest thing in the world.
3. It takes nothing to join the crowd. It takes everything to stand alone.
– Hans F. Hansen
4. The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. Those who walk alone are likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before.
5. The greatest fear in the world is of the opinions of others. And the moment you are unafraid of the crowd, you are no longer a sheep, you become a lion. A great roar arises in your heart, the roar of freedom.
6. Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
7. If you want to make unique discoveries, you do not follow the crowd.
8. It’s better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.
9. To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
If you have a hard time being yourself, check these inspirational quotes about comparing yourself to others.
10. Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.
-Bernard M. Baruch
11. Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.
12. You were born an original, don’t die a copy.
13. I like weird people… The black sheep, the odd ducks, the rejects, the eccentrics, the loners, the lost and forgotten. More often than not, these people have the most beautiful souls.
14. Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who would love the person you hide.
15. Blessed are the weird people: poets, misfits, writers, mystics, painters, troubadours, for they teach us to see the world through different eyes.
16. I like messy people; people who don’t fit in a box or stay between the lines, but whose integrity is greater than any rule book and whose loyalty is stronger than blood.
17. To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
18. It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
19. If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
20. Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward.
Quotes about Conformity
21. Nature is busy creating absolutely unique individuals, whereas culture has invented a single mold to which all must conform. It is grotesque.
– U.G. Krishnamurti
22. I’m not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I’ve always been a freak. So I’ve been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I’m one of those people.
23. Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
-John F. Kennedy
24. Rebel children, I urge you, fight the turgid slick of conformity with which they seek to smother your glory.
25. Conformity is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
26. To be one’s self, and unafraid whether right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformity.
27. The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it’s conformity.
28. Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists.
29. I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself.
-Rita Mae Brown
30. Once conform, once do what others do because they do it, and a kind of lethargy steals over all the finer senses of the soul.
-Michel de Montaigne
31. Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ‘crackpot’ than the stigma of conformity.
-Thomas J. Watson
Quotes about Fitting In
32. Honestly, if you don’t fit in, then you’re probably doing the right thing.
33. Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
34. The more I awaken, the less I desire to fit in.
35. Don’t force yourself to fit in where you don’t belong.
36. Life is very, very short, and you can choose to live it how you want. You can choose to dumb yourself down and not express yourself just so you can fit in, just so people won’t dislike you.
37. Celebrate the idea that you don’t fit in. Find your own fit. Stay unique.
38. Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don’t fit into boxes.
39. Don’t try to fit in or stand out – just be yourself.
40. You don’t have to fit into a mold that someone else has defined.
Standing Out from the Crowd Is a Blessing, Not a Curse
Most people feel more comfortable conforming to the image of a “normal person”. It’s safer, easier, and more convenient. No one likes those who stand out from the crowd and go against public opinion.
But the problem is that many people bury their unique individuality under the facade of socially accepted norms. They are afraid to follow their dreams, express their opinions, and live their lives the way they want. They are afraid to be rejected and ridiculed by the majority.
If you feel like a misfit who doesn’t belong in today’s society, remember that standing out from the crowd is a real blessing, as the above quotes demonstrate. Celebrate your uniqueness and stop caring about what others think! Following your own, unique path towards a life of purpose is much more rewarding than fitting in.
Did you find this post useful? Subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you don’t miss new fascinating guides & articles!