Most of us have had a relationship or a friendship where we cared more than the other person. When feelings are involved, it can be difficult to spot the signs of being taken advantage of.
So, how to recognize such a situation? Read through our list of one-sided friendship quotes to see if anything rings a bell.
If you’ve been (or currently are) in a one-sided friendship, you are sure to find these quotes relatable. Some of them also talk about disappointment and offer ways to cope.
44 One-Sided Friendship Quotes That Reveal Sad but Eye-Opening Truths
1. Friendship is a two-way street. Not one way road.
2. Remove yourself from one-sided friendships where you are the only one putting in the effort.
Do you like the message this quote conveys? Check out our list of quotes on cutting people off.
3. Friendships and relationships are a two-way street. If you find yourself doing all the work, it’s time to cut them loose.
4. A one-sided friendship brings exhaustion, and no one deserves to be sucked dry.
5. Sometimes we expect more from others because we would be willing to do that much for them.
6. I decided to put as much effort into contacting with you as you do with me – that’s why we don’t talk anymore.
7. The only way to have a friend is to be one.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. Never get too attached to anyone unless they also feel the same towards you, because one-sided expectations can mentally destroy you.
While our article covers quotes about one-sided friendship, this saying is true for both friendly and romantic connections. It’s our expectations that cause the most pain, especially when we care more than the other person. If you suspect your friend doesn’t care about you, read this article.
9. Friendship is a two-way street… If you’re looking around your circle of “friends” and begin to realize that more than 98% of them are really just acquaintances, something has to change.
-Michelle N. Onuorah
10. If a person wants to be a part of your life, they will make an obvious effort to do so. Think twice before reserving a space in your heart for people who do not make an effort to stay.
11. Sometimes you need to give up on people not because you don’t care, but because they don’t.
12. People need to learn that friendship goes both ways. You can’t just talk to people when it’s convenient for you because one day that person might not be there!
13. For the secret of friendship is a mutual admiration, and it is the realization or suspicion that that admiration is lessening on one side or the other that swiftly breaks the charm.
14. Friendship is a two-way street. If there’s only giving from one side, it’s not a friendship but a free ride.
15. One-sided friendships inevitably lead to disappointment. But even worse is that they make you feel invisible and not good enough.
This quote demonstrates that a one-sided friendship and disappointment go hand in hand. If you feel disappointed in people because a friend didn’t treat you right, read this article for some fresh insights.
16. Friendship is seldom lasting but between equals, or where the superiority on one side is reduced by some equivalent advantage on the other.
17. You can’t call the friendship ‘real’ if there’s only one person that’s trying to keep it real.
18. If you walked away from a toxic, negative, abusive, one-sided, dead-end, low vibrational relationship or friendship–you won.
Want to read more sayings like this? Check out our compilation of quotes about removing toxic friends.
19. If someone really missed you, they would make an effort to show they do. Not to act like you don’t exist.
20. Choose people who choose you. Life is too short for anything less.
21. Friendships should not be one-sided. Because one of the two people will be left feeling empty.
22. There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn’t even jump puddles for you.
23. You know you are in a one-sided friendship when you only talk about your friend and whatever interests them. There is no space for you, your problems, and your passions. Everything is always about them.
Want to know more signs of a one-sided friendship? Read this guide.
24. Authentic friendship is not one-sided. It is an equal commitment from both parties. True friends both give and receive. True friends know you and want to be known by you—celebrate you and are willing to be celebrated by you. They challenge you and seek to be challenged by you. And they serve you and are willing to be served by you.
25. Love those who will love you when you have nothing to offer but your company.
26. Friendship is two-sided. It isn’t a friend just because someone’s doing something nice for you. That’s a nice person. There’s friendship when you do for each other. It’s like marriage – it’s two-sided.
27. So many friendships ended just because we stopped texting them first.
This is one of the bluntest quotes on one-sided friendship.
Indeed, sometimes friendships end, and it’s a normal part of growing as a person. Read through the signs you are outgrowing your friends.
28. One sad truth of life is that friendships don’t always thrive, no matter how much time, energy, and love you put into them.
29. If you have to constantly put in the effort to be friends with someone, that friendship isn’t worth it.
30. Friendship is an empty word if it only works one way.
31. If they don’t make an effort to keep you, why should you?
32. It takes two givers to keep a friendship strong. One-sided friendships can’t last long. Be grateful for the true friends on the journey.
33. When someone really wants to be your friend, they make you a part of their life. If you constantly feel left out, then something is wrong with your friendship.
Sounds familiar? In this article, we list some signs someone doesn’t want to be your friend.
34. I’m not ignoring you. I’m waiting to see if you’ll make the effort for once.
35. If you allow people to make more withdrawals than deposits in your life, you will be out of balance and in the negative! Know when to close the account.
36. Watering artificial flowers will never make them grow. Stop pouring our energy into one-sided relationships.
-John Mark Green
37. If you don’t text me, I’ll understand. If you don’t call me, I’ll understand. If I forget you, you’ll understand.
38. When you care for people more than they deserve, you get hurt more than you deserve.
– Stephen Kyeyune
39. If someone won’t lift a finger to call you, see you or spend time with you, then it’s time for you to lift five fingers and wave goodbye.
40. It took me way too long to realize that you shouldn’t stay friends with people who never ask how you’re doing.
41. The sad truth is that there are some people who will only be there for you as long as you have something they need. When you no longer serve a purpose to them, they will leave.
Do you find truth in this quote? You may also want to read this article to know the signs you are just a friend of convenience to someone.
42. Stop putting an effort into those who show no effort towards you. There’s only so much you can do before you’re wasting your energy and time.
43. You shouldn’t be always available for someone who doesn’t even ask how you are doing.
44. The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship.
-Sir Francis Bacon
Learn from One-Sided Friendship Quotes!
It’s great to learn from someone’s wisdom and experience. And yet, most of us truly learn our lesson only when we make our own mistake. We trust the wrong person, have expectations, and get our heart broken as a result.
So, don’t wait to get hurt by a one-sided friendship—ponder over the above quotes and revise your social circle. Stop wasting your time on people who take you for granted and only remember about your existence when they need a favor.
Instead, focus on friends who show genuine interest in your life and put in the same effort you do.